If you are using a screen reader, we recommend that you disable JavaScript.

First Choice - The Home of All Inclusive

Passports and visas

Please note: Following the UK government's scrapping of National ID cards in 2010, these can no longer be used as photographic ID when travelling with us.

What documents do I need to take with me to the airport?

If you don’t have a valid passport, visa or entry permit, you may be refused travel.

Please be aware that if this happens, we are unable to assist you in any way. Be sure to double-check that you’ve remembered these documents.

Do I need a passport?

Yes, if you're a British citizen, you need a full 10-year British passport and it must be valid for 6 months from the date of your return to the UK. Visit the Passport Service website for more information.

Just so you know, to apply for your first passport or to renew an old passport, you’ll need to make an appointment. To do this, call the Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000. Calls are charged at the local rate.

If you don't have a UK passport, you should always check with your own embassy, high commission or consulate before you book.

Do I need a visa to visit my destination?

You may need a visa to travel to some of our destinations. To find out whether you need a visa for the country you’re travelling to please visit the website of our partners, The Travel Visa Company.


The Travel Visa Company also offers an online visa application service.


Just so you know, if you’ve booked one of our package holidays to Cape Verde or Cuba, a visa is included in the price of your holiday. For Cape Verde, you need to register online for your visa before you travel.

What do I need to check about my passport?

Before you go, please check the following:

  • The name(s) and initials on your flight tickets must exactly match those on your passport
  • For travel to most countries, a British passport must remain valid for at least six months after your scheduled return to the UK. Please contact the embassy of your destination country for the most up-to-date information
  • If your passport or travel documents are damaged or have been tampered with, you may not be able to travel. If you have any doubts about the condition of your passport, please contact the Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000 or visit the Gov.uk website for more information.

I need to renew my passport. How long will it take?

Our advice? Apply early. You don’t have to wait until your current passport expires to renew it.

If you renew your passport before it expires, any remaining period of validity will be rounded down to the nearest whole month and added to your new passport. This period is calculated from the point at which your new passport is authorised for issue, not from the date of application. So if you want to receive this benefit, you should really apply at least six weeks before your current passport expires.

What do I need to apply for a passport?

For first-time British passport applications, you’ll need documentation to prove that you are a British citizen. These documents will need to be originals, not photocopies. Originals may also be required if you are replacing a lost or stolen passport.

For further details, call the Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000 or visit the Gov.uk website.

What is the situation regarding children and passports?

From 05 October 1998, children under 16 have been required to travel on their own passport.

If your child is already included on your passport, he or she is not affected by this change and can continue to travel on your passport until it expires or until they reach the age of 16. However, please be aware that some countries, such as Bulgaria, may refuse entry to any children without their own passports.

If a new document is required during the validity of your existing passport, any child who is included on it will need to apply for a separate passport.

Passport application can be a lengthy process, so we recommend that you plan ahead and keep your holiday dates in mind.

What should I do if my passport is lost or stolen?

If you are in the UK, you should immediately report the loss or theft of your passport to the police and to Her Majesty's Passport Office. You will need to complete and sign a lost/stolen declaration form. This can be obtained from the following sources:

  • The Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000
  • The Gov.uk website
  • Your local passport office or police station
  • Selected Post Office branches offering the passport application Check & Send service


If you are abroad, report the loss or theft of your passport immediately to the local police, the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Consulate, Embassy or High Commission. You can find all the details of your local FCO by calling 0845 850 2829 before you go on holiday.

Would you like further information? Please visit the Foreign & Commonwealth Office website.

Of course, having said all that. . . it makes life much easier if your passport isn’t lost or stolen in the first place. To minimise the risk, we suggest you keep your passport in a safe place, separate from other documents.

We also advise keeping photocopies of your passport in safe, separate places both at home and abroad. If your passport is lost or stolen, this will greatly speed up the process of replacing it.

What is a machine-readable passport and how do I get one?

A machine-readable passport has the holder’s personal details (name, date of birth, nationality and passport number) contained in two lines of text at the base of the photo page.

All UK passports issued in the UK since 1988 are machine-readable. If your passport is from outside Britain, however, it may not be.

For further information or to obtain a machine-readable passport, please call the Foreign & Commonwealth Office Travel Advice Unit on 0845 850 2829. Alternatively, you can contact the US Embassy on 09042 450 100 (calls are charged at £1.20 per minute) or visit the US Embassy website.

Do I need to provide Advance Passenger Information (API)?

All passengers travelling from the UK are now required to provide Advance Passenger Information (API) before departure for the purpose of border control. Click here to find out more about API.

Where can I find out about ESTA requirements for travel to the USA?

Please click here to find out more about ESTA requirements for passengers travelling to the USA.