Think you’ve got to jet off to the other side of the world to find the best beaches? Not necessarily, according to TripAdvisor reviewers, who’ve voted a stretch on the close-to-home island of Formentera in their top ten…
Considering it’s the smallest of the Balearics and is best known as Ibiza’s little sister, Formentera has done pretty well to make it into TripAdvisor’s annual list of the world’s best beaches. As the only European beach to feature in the top 10, Playa de Ses Illetes is up there with the best of them – including Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos, which took the top spot.
And it’s not hard to see why this tiny island punches so far above its weight. Here are 6 reasons to book a holiday to Formentera this summer, if the best beach vote hasn’t quite clinched it for you…
1. The island is tiny. As in, teeny tiny – you can explore most of it on foot or by bike thanks to a great network of walking and cycling trails.
2. It also looks pretty special. There’s a ban on beachfront development here, so you won’t find any skyscraper-style eyesores.
3. The beaches really are the star attraction. There’s 20 kilometres worth of sand to go round, and many of them come with a stellar line-up of swish restaurants. As well as Playa Illetes, as it’s known, Platja de Migjorn is well worth a look.
4. It’s home to the Insotel Club Maryland. The hotel is pulled up right next to Migjorn beach, has a huge pool with widescreen sea views, and plenty of activities on offer for children and families.
5. It’s within daytripping distance of Ibiza. The ferry over to the island takes about 35 minutes, so you can spend the day (or night) exploring.
6. It’s only about 4 hours away from the UK. Considering the flight time to Turks and Caicos is triple that, you’ll be lazing on the beach in Formentera much sooner.