And the great news is, you can – our holidays to the Indian isle of Sri Lanka are on sale now. As in, right this second. Here’s where you could be this time next year…
If you want to swap your dreary Mondays for sunbathing sessions on golden sweeps of sand, lazy lunches next to roaming elephants and fresh cups of authentic plantation tea (rather than your usual Tetley), you’ve come to the right place. Take a look at our Sri Lanka highlights below, and then book your holiday here…
7 things you didn’t know about Sri Lanka
1. You may associate Sri Lanka with cricket but in actual fact volleyball is the national sport. Why wouldn’t it be, with so many endless stretches of palm-fringed beaches?
2. Sri Lanka is the biggest exporter of tea in the world and you can even take high tea to sample a freshly-prepared brew.
3. Sri Lanka was the first country in the world to have a democratically-elected female prime minister.
4. Sri Lankans have the highest literacy rate in the whole of South Asia.
5. Until 1972 Sri Lanka was called Ceylon.
6. Cinnamon originated in Sri Lanka and was discovered by the Egyptians.
7. When Sri Lankans say yes, they shake their heads from side to side.