Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What currency do I need to take with me?

Check out our destination pages for advice on what currency your country uses, or check out the FCDO page for more info.
Just so you know, some currencies have restrictions. Read on for more details:
Dominican Republic
The official currency of the Dominican Republic is the Dominican Republic Peso, but as US Dollars are widely accepted in tourist areas, we recommend taking both. All major credit cards are accepted and will be processed in the local currency unless you choose otherwise. Travellers’ cheques aren’t recommended.
Cape Verde
The official currency of Cape Verde is the Cape Verdean Escudo. It’s a ‘non-convertible’ currency, which means you can only buy it within Cape Verde and you can’t bring it into, or take it out of the country. We recommend you take euros, as they are widely accepted in tourist areas. Mastercard isn’t accepted on the island and credit and debit cards are rarely used, even for ATM transactions. Travellers’ cheques aren’t recommended, either, so cash is definitely the way.
The offical currency of Mexico is the Mexican Peso. US dollars are also widely used in tourist areas, so we recommend taking both. All major credit cards are accepted and will be processed in the local currency unless you choose otherwise. Travellers’ cheques aren’t recommended.
The currency in Morocco is the Moroccon Dirham. However, it’s a ‘non-convertible’ currency, which means you can only buy it within Morocco and you can’t bring it into, or take it out of the country. We recommend you take pounds and buy dirhams once you’ve arrived in Morocco. Most major credit cards are accepted and will be charged in the local currency. Travellers’ cheques aren’t recommended.
The currency in Tunisia is the Tunisian Dinar. However, it’s a ‘non-convertible’ currency, which means you can only buy it in Tunisia, and you can’t bring it into, or take it out of the country. We recommend you take pounds and buy dinars once you’ve arrived in Tunisia. Most major credit cards are accepted and will be charged in the local currency. Travellers’ cheques aren’t recommended.

What are the entry requirements for Turkey?

British citizens visiting Turkey for up to 90 days within a 180 day period won’t need a visa. However, your passport will need to be valid for at least six months after the date you arrive in Turkey and at least three months after the date you leave.
Please check the FCDO website for the most up-to-date information.

What are the entry requirements for the Dominican Republic?

British citizens must have a valid passport to visit the Dominican Republic. You’ll need a tourist visa card, too, which is included in the cost of your trip.

For the most up-to-date passport and visa information, head over to the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office website .

What are the entry requirements for Aruba?

British citizens must have a valid passport to visit Aruba. This should be valid for the duration of your stay.

You won’t need a visa but you’ll need to complete an Embarkation and Disembarkation Card (ED-card). You can complete a digital ED-card online after you’ve booked your flights.

The digital ED-card must be completed at least 48 hours before your departure. But, don’t worry – if you don’t get it done in time, you’ll be able to complete a paper form on the plane. You can then hand this to the immigration officer when you arrive.

What are the entry requirements for the United States of America?

You’ll need to purchase an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) at least 72 hours before you depart to enter the United States.

You may not be eligible to participate in this Visa Wavier Program (ESTA) if you’ve visited certain countries, including Cuba, in which case, you’ll need to apply for a visa.

For more information, check out the official ESTA Application Website, U.S. Customs and Border Protection and also the FCDO for the latest advice and costs.

How do I find out what the entry requirements are for the country I’m travelling to?

The Government-run Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office website is the best place to check. You’ll find all the latest info on here.

Is there a smoking ban in Mexico?

As of 15th January 2023, Mexico has passed a new law making it illegal to smoke anywhere in public. But, there will still be designated smoking areas in most hotels.

Do I need to pay a tourist tax in Tunisia?

Customers travelling to Tunisia have to pay a hotel tax. This is two Tunisian Dinars per person per night for 3-star hotels and three Tunisian Dinars per person per night for 4 and 5-star hotels. This must be paid on arrival to the hotel and can’t be reclaimed if you leave early. The maximum number of nights the tax can be charged is seven, so customers staying longer than a week will only pay for the first seven nights of their stay. Children under 12 are also exempt from paying the tax. Hotel tax is charged instead of the airport exit tax, which Tunisia used to charge.

Can I take currency into Tunisia?

You can take pounds, euros and dollars into Tunisia to exchange into Tunisian Dinar once you’re in the country. However, taking Tunisian Dinar into or out of the country is illegal.

Most hotels have cash points that accept UK cards where you can withdraw Tunisian Dinar. Some hotels also offer currency exchange services.


Where can I find more information about health and safety when travelling?

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office and the NHS have all the latest advice on staying safe and healthy abroad. The advice can also change so make sure you check your sources regularly for updates.
For more on security, local laws and passport and visa information, see www.gov.uk/travelaware.
You can also stay up to date with current travel health news by visiting www.travelhealthpro.org.uk.
For changes from 1st January 2021 as a result of Brexit, check out https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021.


Do I need a visa to travel to Egypt?

British citizens must have a valid passport and a visa to enter most parts of Egypt. You can get your visa at the airport when you arrive, or from the Egyptian Consulate. If you’re only travelling to Taba or Sharm el Sheikh, though, you’ll be fine without one.
For the most up-to-date passport and visa info for Egypt, visit the UK Government website.


Do I need a visa?

You’ll need a visa to visit some of our destinations. To find out whether you need one for your trip, please visit our destination guide for where you’re travelling, or visit the FCDO website. You can also visit the website of our partners, Sherpa, that offer an online visa application service.

Cape Verde

If you’re visiting Cape Verde, a visa is included in the price of your holiday with us. You’ll need to register online for your Cape Verde visa more than seven days before you travel. Once you’ve submitted your application, you’ll get a message saying it’s been sent successfully. This is the only confirmation you’ll receive. When you arrive in Cape Verde, you’ll get a stamp in your passport and this is your visa.

If we don’t receive your visa application in time or the information you give is incorrect, you may be charged €25 when you arrive in Cape Verde, which is payable in cash.




What ages do child fares apply to?

Package holidays

We count a child as between ages two and 16, but it may differ depending on which hotel you’re staying at. If your little one will still be under two on the date you come back from holiday, they can travel as an infant. But if they’ll be celebrating their 2nd birthday during the holiday, you’ll need to book a full child place.

Flight only

Children between 14-days and two-years old can travel as infants. If they’re older than two, you’ll need to pay the full fare and book their own seat.

Can I fly if I’ve recently had an operation?

If you’ve had an operation within the 14 days before you’re due to fly, you’ll need to let your doctor or surgeon know about your travel plans. They’ll be able to tell you whether you need a fit-to-fly letter and can issue you one.
If you’ve had major surgery within a few months before your holiday – e.g. operations involving your heart or lungs – you will also need a fit-to-fly letter.
If you’ve recently broken a bone and want to know if you’re still able to travel with us, take a look at ‘Can I travel with a broken arm or leg?‘.


How long your passport needs to be valid for depends on the country you are visiting.

For EU countries:

Your Passport must not be older than 10 years on the day you enter the country of your holiday destination (check the ‘date of issue’)

Your Passport must have at least 3 months validity on the day you leave your holiday destination (check the ‘expiry date’)

Passport requirements for non-EU destinations vary and can require as much as 6 months validity – check the FCDO Travel Advice and the entry requirements page for the country you are visiting.

It’s your responsibility to ensure that your travel documents are valid for your destination.

Visit the HM Passport Office website and the FCDO travel advice website for more details.

For all other nationalities, you’ll need to check the embassy of the country you’re planning to travel to, and with the passport office.

First Choice only follows official government guidelines and rules for passport validity as outlined below – if your passport doesn’t meet this criteria you may be denied boarding.

Can I use my European Health Insurance Card abroad?

If your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) remains valid for the duration of your trip, you can use it. But, as of the 1st January 2021, you can no longer renew your EHIC and so will need to apply for a valid Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) when it runs out instead.
You can find more information on the UK Government website.

Can I fly if I’m pregnant?

It depends on how far into the pregnancy you are. It’s best to speak to your doctor for advice as every case is different. If you’re given the green light, check out our Inspire article on ‘top tips for flying when you’re pregnant’.

How old does my baby need to be to fly?

Usually, airlines require babies to be a minimum of two weeks old. Please check with the airline you’re flying with, as these restrictions can vary.

How old do children need to be to travel alone?

Passengers need to be at least 18 years old to book their own trip.

Do I need travel insurance?

Yes, you’ll need to take out a suitable insurance policy for you and anyone travelling with you, including infants and children.
We can’t accept responsibility for any loss that you or anyone travelling on your booking suffers if you’re not properly insured. As with all insurance policies, terms and conditions apply, so make sure you’re covered for all the destinations you plan to visit and any extra activties such as skiing or rock climbing.

Do I need vaccinations?

You’ll need vaccinations to visit some of our destinations. Speak to your doctor at least two months before you’re due to go away to figure out which ones you should get. Some treatments should begin well before you go, such as malaria vaccines. If you’re booking within three weeks of your departure, you might want to speak to your doctor before you book, just to make sure you’ll have enough time.

For more information on vaccination requirements, visit the National Travel Health Network website or take a look at NHS Scotland’s Fit For Travel site. You could also call NHS Direct on 0845 46 47.


There is currently no risk of yellow fever in Jamaica but there is a requirement for a yellow fever certificate in some cases. Travellers heading to Jamaica are advised to speak with their GP, practice nurse or a private travel vaccination clinic for advice. Information on destinations that have travel vaccination recommendations and/or vaccine certificate requirements, including yellow fever advice, can be found by visiting www.travelhealthpro.org.uk

Do I need a passport?

Yes, you’ll need a valid passport to travel with all the airlines we use. EU nationals can use their National Identity Card to travel within the European Union, but we recommend you use a passport wherever possible. You’ll need to use a passport if you’re travelling outside of the EU.
British citizens must hold a valid 10-year passport. If you’re travelling to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein from 1st January 2021, your passport must be less than 10 years old and will also need to have at least six months validity on the day of departure. UK citizens can check out the Government website for passport, visa and health information. Other nationalities should check with their own governments.
To apply for your first passport or to renew an old passport, you’ll need to make an appointment. To do this, call the Passport Advice line on 0300 222 0000 or apply online at https://www.gov.uk/browse/abroad/passports. Calls are charged at the local rate. If you don’t have a UK passport, you should always check with your own embassy, high commission or consulate before you book.
Just so you know, it’s your responsibility to comply with all passport, visa and other immigration requirements for the country you’re visiting. Your passport and travel documents must be intact, too. You may not be allowed to travel if they’re damaged or have been tampered with. We don’t accept any responsibility if you can’t travel because you haven’t complied with the requirements.
Going to Turkey?
For trips to Turkey, your passport may need to be valid for longer than five months after you return. We recommend you visit the FCDO website for the most up-to-date information.

Sales Enquiries

If you are thinking of booking a holiday or just need some general advice, call:

Call centre opening times

After Sales

If you have already booked a holiday and need to contact us, call:

Call centre opening times